Competence-based management is an element of human resources management strategy. The guiding principle is a conviction that human competences have fundamental significance for an organisation’s ability to achieve its goals. A company must build its competitive advantage constantly, throughout its life-cycle. Thus, competences are inextricably linked with the organisation’s vision, strategy and values.
A correctly defined competence model is the key success factor in subsequent projects related to human resources management.
A competence model is useful for:
- recruitment and candidate selection
- employee evaluation (periodic appraisals)
- skill audits
- effective feedback
- identification of employee potential
- creating reserve staff and succession planning
- promotions and shifts within the organisation
- employee training and development
Employee benefits from competence model implementation:
- competence and skill management
- development possibilities in line with company strategy and employee expectations
- higher motivation for self-improvement
- transparent criteria for evaluation and expectations